A few weeks ago at Target, I noticed some pumpkin spice-flavored M&Ms near the checkout. I always have a hard time saying no to new seasonal products, and I instantly envisioned these folded into a warm batch of pumpkin cookies. I bought a bag and whipped this recipe up the next day.
They were gone in an embarrassingly short amount of time.
What? Don’t look at me! :)
Before mixing up the pumpkin cookie base, I scoured the internet for tips on pumpkin baking science. A scientist I am not, but a perfectionist baker I am. I wasn’t looking for a cakey pumpkin cookie recipe like most. Instead, I wanted my cookies to be thick and melty, chewy inside like my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. My goal was to maintain the texture of regular chocolate chip cookies but still have that little punch of pumpkin flavor.
I have to admit that my success surprised me. I fully intended to mix up several batches with different ingredients before finding the perfect recipe, but these cookies turned out exactly the way I hoped on the first try!
And the recipe really wasn’t that complicated. I used a mixture of softened butter and shortening, and I left out eggs in favor of pureed pumpkin. I wasn’t sure how it would all work, but in the end, I was completely satisfied with the results. These are just like regular chocolate chip cookies, only they’re pumpkin. I swapped out regular chocolate chips for white chocolate chips and a generous handful of Pumpkin Spice M&Ms, and I also added a few spices to the dough to make it even more festive.
If you can’t find the Pumpkin Spice M&Ms, you can use regular M&Ms, chocolate chips, or anything that suits your fancy. The Pumpkin Spice M&Ms aren’t overwhelming with pumpkin flavor like you might expect, but they add a subtle taste of autumn if you are able to get ahold of some.
If I can muster enough discipline to not eat an entire batch like the world is ending, these will definitely become a part of my regular fall rotation. These are some of my favorite cookies I’ve ever made!
Take it from me…it’s hard to eat just one.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
- 1 cup shortening (1 stick of Crisco)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp. pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup Pumpkin Spice M&Ms
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, salt and spices together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cream butter and shortening; add sugars and mix well. Stir in pumpkin and vanilla. Add dry ingredients and mix until combined. Fold in chocolate chips and M&Ms.
- Using a cookie scoop, place dough in rounded scoops on baking sheets, 12 at a time.
- Bake cookies for 4-5 minutes on the lower oven rack until the edges begin to brown, and then switch baking sheets to the upper rack for an additional 4-5 minutes, or until they are lightly browned.
- Remove to wire racks with a spatula to cool.
Total Fat: 8.3 g
Cholesterol: 8 mg
Sodium: 72 mg
Potassium: 29.4 mg
Total Carbs: 22 g
Dietary Fiber: .3 g
Sugars: 15.6 g
Protein: 1 g