My weekend was spent baking Christmas cookies in bulk, the scents of peppermint, eggnog, and gingerbread permeating the kitchen.
Early in the season, I usually bake up as many varieties as possible and pop them into the freezer so they can be eaten throughout the month. By the time Christmas rolls around, I’m usually out of freezer space because…what can I say? I tend to get a little carried away with the Christmas baking. :)
I think the classic peanut butter cookies topped with Hershey Kisses are a holiday staple for almost everyone. They taste best when they’re fresh out of the oven, the chocolate beginning to melt into a creamy puddle atop the sugary peanut butter dough.
My grandma used to make these peanut butter staples, my mom often does, and, of course, I have continued the Christmas cookie tradition as well. Having a sweet tooth definitely runs in the family. I blame it on genetics!
The cookies are easy to make, they don’t require any crazy ingredients, and they bring a smile to the face of any peanut butter-lover. Is there any better combination than chocolate and peanut butter?
(Well, you know, unless you’re allergic…)
I love these cookies best when they’re just barely baked, lightly browned at the bottom but still warm and soft. Be careful not to burn them! As soon as they’re done, take them out of the oven and press a Hershey Kiss on top of each cookie. The chocolate will melt just enough to stick, and you’ll have a hard time waiting for any cookie to cool before sampling one!
Like I said, that’s the best part!
These classic peanut butter cookies have made an appearance at almost every Christmas in my lifetime. Apparently the rest of my family likes the peanut butter + chocolate combo as much as I do!
Tell me…what are YOUR family’s classic Christmas cookie recipes? Are yours covered in fruit, drowning in chocolate, or filled with peppermint?
Hope your Christmas season is sweet!
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- ½ cup butter
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 42 Hershey Milk Chocolate Kisses
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Remove wrappers from Hershey Kisses.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat peanut butter and butter at medium speed until smooth. Add brown sugar, milk and vanilla; mix well. Add egg and beat until just combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt. Slowly add to peanut butter mixture, reducing speed to low, until just combined.
- Place sugar in a small, shallow bowl.
- Roll peanut butter dough into one-inch balls and dip each ball into sugar on one side. Place each cookie sugar-side-up on a baking sheet.
- Bake cookies for 7 to 8 minutes, rotating halfway through from the bottom rack to the top. Cookies are done when the edges begin to brown.
- Remove from oven and immediately press one Hershey Kiss in the center of each cookie.
- Let cookies set for a minute or two, then remove cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for one week, or freeze for up to two months.