August means peach season to me. Peaches everywhere! Peach pie, fresh peaches in my lunchbox, peach ice cream, peach everything. I usually have a huge box of them in the house that has to be completely used up before they go bad.
Over the course of a week or so, I’m stuffing peaches into everything that goes into my mouth like they’re about to go extinct. It’s a pretty strenuous week.
Peach cobbler or breakfast? Okay.
Peaches and cream popsicles for lunch? If you insist.
I’m still not getting into the kitchen or the world of WordPress as much as I’d like to these days, but I’m still alive and kicking over here in my sleepy corner of the Midwest! I don’t give up baking without putting up a fight!
I’m currently waiting on a Mayo appointment and hopefully the experts will have some better insight into why I’m struggling to keep my eyes open an hour after I wake up every day. Docs closer to home have ruled out pretty much everything (which is great! just not exactly helpful for my recovery!), so if nothing else, I’m at least good to keep eating the baked goods I can muster up the energy to mix together. No food intolerances or allergies is definitely a plus in my book! I am grateful because I know life could be much worse.
Today’s peach cream cheese bread is brought to you by simplicity and summertime. My freezer is often stocked with one or two of these sweet little loaves, ready to be defrosted before last-minute company arrives or after all the breakfast cereal runs out.
Because this is totally breakfast food. Much like puppy chow, only way healthier because it’s a balanced mix of fruit and calcium. Isn’t it obvious?
The only problem with having a loaf of creamy peach bread is that once you cut off one slice, you inevitably want to go back for a second. And sometimes a third. #thestruggle
Kind of like a pan of bars that hasn’t been cut yet. Very risky to have around.
That cinnamon-sugar sprinkle on top, that moist cakey base, that smooth cream cheese tunnel…
Luckily this recipe is great for giving away. Mini loaves of bread are always appreciated by friends and neighbors!
If you already have breakfast plans, that is.
…So what are your favorite peach recipes? I’m swimming in a pool of juicy peaches and I want ideas!
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 peaches, peeled and sliced to make about 2 cups*
- 8 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. almond extract, optional
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray three 7 1/2 x 3 1/2-inch loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour with baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs with sugar, milk, and oil until well-blended. Fold in dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Pour 1/3 of the batter into each prepared pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix cream cheese, 3/4 cup sugar and almond extract on high speed until smooth.
- Carefully spoon 1/3 of the cream cheese mixture down the center of each loaf pan (the long way) until the cream cheese nearly touches each end.
- In a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon together. Sprinkle 1/3 of the mixture over each loaf, covering dough generously.
- Bake pans on lower oven rack for 40 minutes or until loaves are baked through.
- Cool to room temperature and slice each loaf into 12 pieces to serve.
*If fresh peaches aren't available, substitute two 14-oz. cans sliced peaches.
I find that it works best to bake these in three 7-1/2 x 3-1/2 loaf pans, but you could also use two larger loaf pans if you have them.
The nutritional info below was calculated using 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, but any variety works - same goes for milk.
If you're not a fan of almond flavoring, sub vanilla!