Let the series on “a few of my favorite things” continue! Last week I shared my favorite savory recipe, and this week I’m back to my favorite category: cupcakes! Believe it or not, I’ve been holding out on you in the cupcake department. This recipe is one of my very favorites, and I couldn’t wait any longer to share it.
The formula here combines two of my most-loved sweets: Oreos and cupcakes.
These start with the best-ever vanilla cupcake base (Thank you, Georgetown Cupcake and your drool-worthy cookbook!) and get better when you mix in some crushed Oreo cookies. Double Stuf, if you go my route. (I recommend it.) Plain old Oreos will do just fine, too.
The frosting is a fluffy, silky vanilla buttercream with even more Oreos speckled throughout. I used a large open star tip to pipe mine on, and I halved some extra Double Stuf Oreos to press on top.
The result is cookies-and-cream perfection. These are the kind of cupcakes I dream about, and I could eat a whole bowl of the buttercream with a spoon. Or ladle. Or shovel.
Cookies and cream = my weakness.
A lot of the cupcake recipes I create are one-hit wonders in my kitchen: I like them a lot, but I have so many other flavors I want to try that I never make them again.
This is not one of those recipes.
I’ve made Oreo cupcakes too many times to count because they’re just that good! These are the kind of cupcakes I think about often and crave constantly.
If you’re an Oreo fan like I am, give these a try! If you ask me, it’s hard to go wrong with cookies and cream.
Vanilla bean cookies and cream cupcakes with a fluffy Oreo buttercream.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 8 Tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 1/4 tsp. vanilla
- seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- 1 1/4 cups milk, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup crushed Double Stuf Oreos (about 3 cookies)
- 16 Tbsp. butter, at room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. fat-free milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup finely crushed Double Stuf Oreos (about 3 cookies)
- 12 whole Double Stuf Oreos, for garnish (if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two muffin tins with cupcake wrappers.
- In a small bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar together for 3-5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Slowly add eggs one at a time until combined.
- Add vanilla and vanilla bean seeds to milk.
- Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and beat with stand mixer until well combined. Add 1/3 of the milk and mix thoroughly. Repeat with remaining ingredients, scraping bowl as needed.
- Fold in crushed Oreos until just mixed.
- Pour batter into prepared pans, filling each about two-thirds full.
- Bake for 16 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool pans completely on a wire rack.
- Garnish cupcakes with halved Oreos, if desired.
Recipe adapted from Georgetown Cupcake's The Cupcake Diaries
I used a Wilton open star tip found in a three-pack at Wal-Mart. A large round tip would also work well!
Total Fat: 14.7 g
Cholesterol: 46.5 mg
Sodium: 214.8 mg
Potassium: 39.8 mg
Total Carbs: 52.6 g
Dietary Fiber: .5 g
Sugars: 39.2 g
Protein: 2.4 g