Clearly I’m on a role here. Third time’s the charm?
I didn’t intend to post three Nutella recipes in a row…it just happened. It happens! In my life, it happens.
My love for Nutella (obviously) runs deep. And I don’t think I’m the only one.
I had intended to post these before Valentine’s Day since they’re perfect for any chocolate-covered holiday, but I think they’re just as good any other time of year. Nutella is a year-round kind of treat.
I definitely brought these to Galentine’s Day, too! Galentine’s, if you don’t know, is inspired by Parks & Rec and is a day for ladies to celebrate ladies. My friends and I – single, married, and everything in between – put on a fun Galentine’s Day celebration every year, while our guy friends have their own Palentine’s Day party. It’s one of my favorite traditions each February! And I love that people in all different stages of life can hang out together. We always have a chocolate fountain and an impressive spread of sweets and treats – it doesn’t get any better! And the person who hosts gets to keep the leftover chocolate. Have I mentioned how much I love hosting? ;)
These cupcakes are everything Nutella. There’s Nutella stirred into the vanilla batter, straight-up Nutella for the filling, and, of course, Nutella buttercream on top. Nutella buttercream is one of the best things I’ve ever eaten.
If you wanted to take these over the top (and I wouldn’t stop you!), you could also melt a little Nutella and drizzle it on top. I didn’t this time, but I definitely thought about it. :)
For all you fellow Nutella-lovers, I hope you enjoy these cupcakes as much as I did, and I hope you all felt loved this Valentine’s Day!
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 8 Tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 1/4 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups milk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- Approximately 1 cup Nutella
- 16 Tbsp. butter, at room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. skim milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two muffin tins with cupcake wrappers.
- In a small bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar together for 3-5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Slowly add eggs one at a time until combined.
- Stir vanilla extract into milk.
- Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and beat with stand mixer until well combined. Add 1/3 of the milk and mix thoroughly. Repeat with remaining ingredients, scraping bowl as needed.
- Add Nutella and mix until just combined.
- Scoop batter into prepared pans and bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool pans completely on a wire rack.
- When cupcakes have cooled, use a cupcake or apple corer to make a whole in the center of each cupcake (Try not to slice all the way to the bottom - I usually only remove the top half or so). Fill with Nutella.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat all frosting ingredients on high speed until light and fluffy, at least three minutes. Add powdered sugar in stages if it gets too messy, and start mixing on low if you have trouble with it splattering. You may need to scrape down the sides of the bowl a few times to make sure frosting is evenly mixed.
- Pipe buttercream onto cupcakes using a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip.
Total Fat: 19 g
Cholesterol: 47 mg
Sodium: 110 mg
Potassium: 48 mg
Total Carbs: 59 g
Protein: 4 g