What’s the way to your heart?
Food’s pretty high up there for me.
That’s why we get along so well. :)
Buy me a nice dinner with dessert and unlimited rye bread from the Cheesecake Factory, and you may just be my new best friend.
Surprise me with overpriced specialty seasonal candy from the holiday aisle at Target, and I may get almost as excited.
Dove chocolate strawberry hearts. Have you had them? They are as delicious as they are pretty, swirled shapes of pink strawberry and brown milk chocolate ribbons. I enjoy eating them by themselves, but to me, everything is better baked into something. It’s just a fact of life!
Chocolate cookies were an instant must-try when I first tasted one of these chocolate strawberry hearts. I dreamed about them for days before finally diving right in to a mixing bowl of butter and cocoa powder.
I’m usually a bit hesitant to completely make up a cookie recipe out of thin air. The same goes for cupcakes. Baking is such a science, and never being a student who overly excelled in the subject myself, I guess I have an irrational underlying fear that my cupcakes will turn out like bricks and my cookies like rocks.
I always know the flavor I’m going for…the finished results just aren’t always exactly what my taste buds dreamed up. You know?
Or maybe it’s just me who experiences the occasional kitchen catastrophe. It might not happen too often, but when it goes wrong, it goes wro-o-o-o-ng.
This recipe definitely went right.
Soft, buttery chocolate cookies with melty pools of milk chocolate strawberry in the center.
Fresh from the oven? They’re divine. Completely cooled? Still pretty awesome. These cookies are sweet, chewy, and chocolatey. They’ll steal any and all hearts you’re trying to impress.
And if that recipe for love somehow fails you (beyond all reason), they’ll work perfectly fine for any Singles Awareness Day Celebration. I like to call it Unlimited Chocolate Decadence Day.
Either way–whether you’re impressing your Valentine or stuffing your face all by your lonesome–these cookies make your heart happy. And your taste buds. xoxo
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 18 Dove chocolate strawberry hearts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, sift flour and baking soda together. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add egg and vanilla. Reduce speed to low and add cocoa powder, mixing until well-blended.
- Add flour mixture, stopping to scrape the edges of the bowl with a spatula if necessary. Mix until just combined.
- Roll dough into one-inch balls and place on cookie sheets two inches apart. Bake in preheated oven on the lower rack for 4 minutes; move to the upper rack and continue baking for 4 additional minutes.
- Remove pans from oven and immediately place one chocolate in the center of each cookie, pressing down just lightly enough to attach it. Let cool for 5 minutes and move cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
If you can't find the Dove hearts or they're not in season, use any kind of chocolate candy you can get your hands on! Hershey Kisses, Reese's peanut butter cups...the sky's the limit here!