And still others add chocolate.
This concept is newer to me. I grew up on the classic marshmallow flavor, but a few years ago, my cousin Megan mentioned that she had this irresistible Rice Krispy bar recipe with chocolate chips and peanut butter. She said she couldn’t leave them alone when they were in her house.
Naturally, I begged her for the recipe, picked up the essentials at the grocery store an hour later, and made them that very day.
Did I mention I lived in college housing at the time?
That alone tells you how easy they are to prepare. Chocolate Krispy Bars: so simple you can make them in a dorm. All you need is a microwave and a fridge! Even if that fridge is a mini-fridge and that microwave cost you 30 bucks.
Not only are these easy to mix together, but they’re everything good in one bar. Chocolate, peanut butter, butterscotch, marshmallows, and butter. “Irresistible” is right!
Each slice tastes kind of like a thick, crispy chocolate bar. No calories here! ;)
I usually make these in a 9×13-inch pan, but you can make them in a smaller dish if you want your bars to be even thicker.
At the recommendation of my cousin, I keep these in the fridge. It’s not a requirement by any means, but she got me started on chilling these, and now I’m hooked! I already like my regular Rice Krispy Bars cold, so it only seems fitting that these work well in the fridge, too. They taste great at room temp, but they’re firmer and easier to eat when they’re kept at a cooler temperature. No more messy fingers!
If you choose not to refrigerate them, you’ll probably want to grab a fork before digging in.
Just be careful. Sometimes that fork somehow ends up right in the pan, and before you know it, you’ve had one, then two…
You get the picture. Not that I would know what it’s like to eat these straight from the pan… ;)
Not a clue.
These treats are the perfect weekend indulgence. Definitely different from the classic Rice Krispy bar! Is it possible to go wrong by adding chocolate?
- 1/2 bag butterscotch chips (6 oz. or about 1 cup)
- 1 bag semisweet chips (11 oz. or about 2 cups)
- 1 cup peanut butter
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- 4 ½ cups Rice Krispies
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- In a large bowl, and microwave butterscotch chips on high for 1 minute; stir.
- Add semisweet chips, peanut butter, and butter. Melt for 1 minute and stir again. Repeat until smooth.
- Add Rice Krispies and marshmallows. Stir until all ingredients are well-blended.
- Pour mixture into a 9x13 pan and refrigerate for at least an hour until firm. Slice into 15 squares.
- Keep covered at room temperature or refrigerate for up to one week. I like them best chilled!
If you don't have mini marshmallows, chop up a few of the jumbo ones you use for s'mores and toss them in!