A few weeks ago, I shared one of my favorite Christmas treats, the classic Oreo Truffles. They’re creamy and chocolaty and great for the holidays…but it is possible to make them even more Christmas-y.
Enter Candy Cane Oreos.
These pretty peppermint-flavored cookies usually hit shelves in November and are the perfect seasonal substitute for regular Oreos at Christmastime. Similar items have been released under different names (ex: Holiday Peppermint Oreos) and I’ve seen knockoff brands at my local grocery store as well. I usually have no problem finding some type of minty Oreos at Target or Cub Foods. You can also get the candy cane variety on Amazon.
When in doubt (or during the rest of the year), Cool Mint Oreos are always readily available!
For these, I like to use white chocolate chips for dipping the truffles, and I add a little gel coloring to tint them green. (I used Wilton.) They add some color to the Christmas dessert spread, and I think they’d make a cute Saint Patrick’s Day snack for my Irish friends out there, as well!
Oreo truffles, it seems, work for any holiday. :)
As with the regular Oreo Truffles, you can use any kind of chocolate you like for dipping. Brand-wise, I prefer Guittard or Ghirardelli chocolate chips, but any chocolate will do! I usually dip half of my truffles in milk chocolate and half in white. Almond bark also works well. Raid your pantry and use whatever you have!
Once the truffles have been coated in chocolate, I immediately add a sprinkle of crushed peppermints before they have time to dry. Not only does this give guests an indication of what’s inside, it also glams them up and adds a little extra holiday cheer.
Adding crushed Oreos on top adds a little something special, too, making the green-tinted white chocolate truffles look like a miniature scoop of mint chip ice cream. My favorite!
If you are a serious peppermint lover, you could add a small amount of peppermint extract to the Oreo mixture before dipping the truffles in chocolate. I’ve never met a peppermint treat I didn’t like, but I found that the mint flavor in the Oreos was sufficient, so I didn’t add any additional flavoring. The minty flavor from the Oreos really shines through more than you might expect!
Calling all mint lovers! This one’s for you. Merry Christmas!
Check back for more treats in the coming weeks…we’ve still got 16 days till Christmas!
- 1 package (10.5 oz.) Candy Cane Oreos or Peppermint Oreos
- 8 oz. fat-free cream cheese
- 2 bags (11 oz. each) chocolate chips (I like to use one bag of milk chocolate and one bag of white chocolate)
- Crushed peppermints for sprinkling, optional
- Crush Oreos with a food processor or, alternatively, place them in a sturdy Ziploc bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
- In a large bowl, mix crushed Oreos and cream cheese with your hands until combined. Roll into one-inch balls.
- Place each kind of chocolate chips in a separate microwave-safe bowl. Melt for one minute and stir. Continue microwaving at 15-second intervals until melted and smooth. If necessary, add a bit of vegetable oil to make the chocolate smoother.
- Dip half of the prepared Oreo balls into the milk chocolate and place on waxed paper to harden. Sprinkle with crushed peppermints if desired. Repeat with remaining Oreo balls and white chocolate (or chocolate of choice).
- Store in a covered plastic container in the refrigerator.
Total Fat: 6.4 g
Cholesterol: 3.1 mg
Sodium: 36.4 mg
Total Carbs: 16.5 g
Sugars: 13 g
Protein: 1.8 g