It’s summer again, at last! Okay, not officially, but I’m already celebrating. Minnesota’s had a l-o-n-g, chilly winter, and I think I speak for the entire state when I say that I’m welcoming the climbing temps with wide-open arms.
I can’t imagine a better way to celebrate than with cupcakes! Ice cream-themed cupcakes, to be precise! Stuffed with Berry Burst Ice Cream Oreos, these mini berry-flavored cakes are appropriately sugary and summery and just all-around superb.
Here’s the truth: I don’t actually love the Berry Burst Oreos on their own.
I love nearly every flavor Oreo has ever introduced, but this variety just isn’t one of my favorites.
However, they make a yummy addition to cupcakes (then again, what doesn’t?) and I didn’t have any trouble finishing off a batch of these baked goodies in record time! They are an over-the-top version of my favorite cupcakes from Georgetown Cupcake’s The Cupcake Diaries, after all.
I found the Berry Burst Ice Cream Oreos at my local grocery store, Cub Foods. I don’t think they’re too difficult to get ahold of, but if all else fails, you can find them on Amazon. I believe Wal-Mart carries them, as well.
I mixed the Oreos into regular vanilla cupcakes and added some pureed berries to a vanilla buttercream for a smooth, strawberry-tinged ice cream-like flavor.
To make these cupcakes extra celebratory, I added pink gel (I used Wilton) to the frosting, along with the berries and extra crushed Oreos. I piped on the frosting with a large round tip and topped the cupcakes off with extra halved Berry Burst Oreos. The final product is super-sweet and very festive.
It would also be fun to plop the frosting on using an ice cream scoop!
If you’re really looking for a decadent treat to hail the return of shorts and flip-flops, go ahead. You only live once! :) Add a nice big scoop of ice cream on top before you stick a spoon in it.
And maybe add a nice drizzle of strawberry ice cream topping, too.
Why not? We’re celebrating.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 8 Tbsp. butter, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free milk, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup Berry Burst Ice Cream Oreos, crushed (about 5 Oreos)
- 1.5 cups butter (3 sticks), at room temperature
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. fat-free milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup pureed strawberries (about 3 berries)
- Pink food gel, if desired
- 1/4 cup Berry Burst Ice Cream Oreos, crushed (1 or 2 Oreos)
- FOR CUPCAKES: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two muffin tins with cupcake wrappers.
- In a small bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar together for 3-5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Slowly add eggs one at a time until combined.
- Add vanilla extract to milk.
- Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and beat with stand mixer until well combined. Add 1/3 of the milk and mix thoroughly. Repeat with remaining flour and milk, scraping bowl as needed.
- Fold in crushed Oreos.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 16 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool pans completely on a wire rack.
- FOR FROSTING: In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat butter, powdered sugar, milk, vanilla and salt on high speed until light and fluffy, at least three minutes. Slowly add strawberry puree until smooth. Add gel coloring, if desired, and mix until well-blended. Fold in crushed Oreos.
- Scoop frosting onto cupcakes using an ice cream scoop. Garnish with Oreos.
If you really want a decadent treat, top these "ice cream" cupcakes with a scoop of REAL ice cream and a drizzle of strawberry syrup!